What We Do
We hold 10 membership meetings from February to December, featuring knowledgeable speakers on a multitude of gardening topics. Our meetings are held at Glenshaw Presbyterian Church, 300 Glenn Avenue, Glenshaw, PA 15116 on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 12:00 noon, unless otherwise specified. (Please see "Events" page for a detailed listing.)
* Field Trips to unique gardens are offered to inspire members to new gardening heights!
* Annual Plant Sale is held on the first Saturday in May from 9 am till noon at Kiwanis Park. Members divide and share their perennials, host a bake sale, provide children's activities and a flea market. This sale helps stimulate gardeners to try new plantings and serves as a major fundraiser to support our charities and club projects.
* Shaler Gardens Tour is our fundraiser which benefits the Shaler North Hills Library. Community members get the chance to tour five spectacular area gardens.
* Great Gardens Contest allows area gardeners to submit their home gardens to win awards and to be recognized for their hard work. The first place winner is asked to participate in the Great Garden Tour.
* We maintain the gardens at Shaler North Hills Library twice per month throughout the growing season.
* Earth Day Project distributes seed packets and information to all kindergarten students in Shaler School District, to inspire them to learn more about planting flowers that are good pollinators for the bees and insects.
* Fairy Garden Workshop, held at Shaler Library for 4-8 year olds, inspires children with the magic of gardening, as they build houses for fairies out of natural materials.
* Horticultural Therapy Program, to share the love of houseplants with the residents of the Hampton Fields Retirement Village. A variety of plants and contaniers will be available to residents to plant. They will also learn how to care for their own plant.
* Decorate three indoor Christmas trees at the Shaler North Hills Library. One is decorated with handmade ornaments made from natural dried plant materials, one with traditional ornaments and one with gingerbread cookies made by members.